The Right Brain Initiative and Young Audiences of Oregon & SW Washington have teamed up to provide one application process for artists who work with schools. The Intent to Apply Form is open until July 15, 2016. Application is open until July 31, 2016. Information sessions will be held in early July around the Portland metro area. See our calendar for details.
Who are we, and why are we offering a joint teaching artist application?
The Right Brain Initiative and Young Audiences are friends in the field, and together, our programs provide opportunities for teaching artists to teach and perform in Portland metro area schools. Collectively, we serve nearly 100,000 students each year. Young Audiences manages the teaching artist roster for both programs, so a joint application makes sense both for our staff and for teaching artists.
While we work together, we have areas of focus that are distinct. As an artist, you can join one roster or both with just one application—depending on how you like to work with schools, and how that fits with the offerings of each program. Read more to find out which program is right for you.
Overview of The Right Brain Initiative
In-school teaching that weaves school content and the arts together (arts integration)
- Lessons created and delivered in collaboration with teachers through a variety of art forms
- Attend professional development workshops
- Students range from pre-school to 8th grade, though teaching artists do not need to be able to teach at all levels
- Schools cover the tri-county Portland area
For more information, visit The Right Brain Initiative’s website!
Overview of Young Audiences of Oregon & SW Washington (YA)
- In-school performance opportunities
- Teaching artist led workshops for teachers
- Family arts night activities
- In-school or after-school arts-integrated residency
- In-school or after-school skills-based residency
- Students range from pre-school to 12th grade, though artists do not need to be able to teach at all levels
- Schools cover the Portland metro area and SW Washington.
For more information, visit the Young Audiences website!
Complete the Intent to Apply Form to be eligible to submit a full application to either or both organizations.